Cook Job at HIAS Refugee… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at HIAS Refugee.
HIAS is the global Jewish nonprofit organization that protects refugees-including women and children, and ethnic, religious, and sexual minorities-whose lives are in danger for being who they are.
- Ensures ingredients and final products are fresh
- Oversees and participates in the preparation, cooking and serving of well-balanced main meals to shelter residents.
- Determines quantities to be cooked and size of portions to be served, considering the total population at the safe house
- Handles and stores ingredients and food
- Maintains safety and sanitation standards throughout all food preparation and storage areas
- Maintains a clean and safe work area, including handling utensils, equipment, and dishes
- Ensures that high standards of hygiene and health are maintained in the kitchen
- Checks quantity and quality of ingredients received and notifies Head Cook of any deficiencies
- Performs any other duties as may be required
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- A certificate in hotel and catering management or food and beverage
- Must have a valid medical certificate
- Should have a minimum of 1 year of experience in the catering industry
- Ability to accurately read, measure, convert and follow recipes and assemble ingredients according to cooking standards and recipes.
- Fully conversant with various cooking methods like boiling, baking, roasting and steaming.
- Comprehensive understanding of food hygiene regulations including safe temperatures at which ingredients must be kept and to which food must be prepared to avoid foodborne illness
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team to ensure deadlines, goals and objectives are met.
- Interpersonal skills to interact with a variety of other people from different backgrounds such as the Safe House residents and other staff
- Calm demeanor to work in a high-stress, fast-paced environment
- Experience of high-volume catering in a busy workplace.
- Knowledge in basic computer skill is an added advantage
- Knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations is an added advantage
- Knowledge of PSEA is an added advantage
Leonel has been Teacher at Alliant International University since 2013. He began to write about admission details at Course Discovery.