This article contains information on how to write an Email for a Job Application and examples.
Have you ever sent a job application through an email before only to wait for days and days turned into months without a response? I know how frustrating that can be, especially when you put your efforts into writing the email.
Sending an email may look so easy. Infact, it is easy but not everyone understands the techniques of sending email for a job application. This is probably why you may not have been getting feedback from the numerous organizations you have been applying to.
In order to help you overcome this challenge, this article will guide you through proven ways to email a job application. Thus, below are step by step processes on how to write an email for a job application.
STEPS ON HOW TO WRITE AN EMAIL FOR A JOB APPLICATION
- Prepare your documents.
- Compose your application email.
- Use an effective subject line.
- Finish the email with your signature.
- Include your attachments.
- Review, proofread and send your email application.
1. PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS
The first step in composing an application email is to get the documents that need to be included in the email ready. Except stated, your documents should be in PDF format.
2. USE AN EFFECTIVE SUBJECT LINE
The subject line is usually the first thing the recipient sees even before clicking on the mail and because most nails are read with the use of smartphones, it may show only about 30 characters in the subject line, so the message must be as tightly conveyed as possible.
Sometimes, the company makes it very easy by indicating what they desire to be used as the subject line but if this is not done, when writing a subject line include the word ‘application’, your name, the job title and any vacancy ID code.
For example,’Oparah Chioma’, Application, Account manager.
You can also decide to be creative with the subject line by marketing yourself briefly, ‘Application: Oprah Michelle, Experienced graphic designer, vacancy 4694’, or ‘Award-winning HR specialist seeks Branding Manager position”,’etc.
You have to be unique with your subject line and avoid being vague because employers search their inboxes looking for individual names, roles or job ID numbers. So, if your subject line has just ‘job application’, there is a high possibility that it may never be read. You wouldn’t want to risk it.
3. EMAIL INTRODUCTION
After the subject line, comes the introduction/salutation. How have you been addressing the hirer? Sometimes, you may not know the full name of the recipient but in this case, don’t just relax, do some research about the company and the right contacts. You can do this via social media platforms preferably LinkedIn. If after this nothing is found, make sure you address the hirer respectfully. Start with ‘Dear Sir or Madam’.
Don’t ever start with ‘Hi’ or ‘Hey’. This is not an email to your loved ones, so try to be as formal as possible.
After the salutation, do quickly state important details in line one. This can indicate if you were referred, how you came across the advert and the role you’re applying for if need be.
Your former colleague Matthew Thompson recommended I contact you about the vacancy for the Supervisor position.’
4. BODY OF THE LETTER
In paragraph two, state why you are a perfect fit for the position. Note that this is not stating why you want the job; rather, it should be about why the employer should want your services.
As the winner of the 2020 Global Youth Award for Best graphic creator, with a proven record of increasing user experience scores on over 25 websites and online apps, my goal is to use my 9 years of experience to help ABC succeed with ensuring it’s graphics team stand out in creating world class and very professional designs.
The third paragraph should be the call to action and which usually carries your contact details. Your call to action must be catchy enough to make the hirer desire to meet you in person.
I am looking forward to meeting you in person to share my insights and ideas on making ABC’s web development and graphics team more effective.
Moreso, sign-off politely using any formal greeting, e.g Yours sincerely, best regards etc. Include a signature at the end of your email that consists of your full name and contact details such as your phone number, email and any social media profile you wish to share with the hirer.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
- After writing your job application, don’t be quick to send email off immediately. First edit your mail, check for spelling and grammar errors, and ensure you have addressed the key points that the employer is looking for.
- In case of any attachment, don’t send it as a Word file, unless it was clearly stated .
- If you are applying for a creative or tech job and need to send links to your work, include links in the body of the job application email.
Below is an example of job application email.
Subject line: Oprah Michelle – Project Manager.
Dear Mr Thompson,
I recently came across your project Manager job opening at ABC Ltd on your website and feel that I would be a perfect fit for this position. My skills, qualifications and experience in project management would make me a valuable asset to your company.
With more than 9 years of experience in both traditional and online marketing, I have gained enough knowledge and expertise in the most important marketing strategies used today. I have executed numerous projects in my previous job which got numerous awards of honours. I want to use the same experience to help your company.
My resume and certifications are attached for your review. If you would like more information regarding my qualifications for this position, please do not hesitate to contact me via the details included.
Thank you for your time.
Writing a good email for a job application is a very effective strategy few job seekers use. Now you know how to go about writing an attention grabbing email. I wish you luck in your job search.
- How to Write a Letter of Intent
- How to Write Cover Letter as a General Worker
- List of Top Careers in Demand in the United States
- How to Write an Outstanding Narrative Essay
- List of Courses that Prepares you for Self Employment
- List of Highest Paying Jobs in Uganda
- Best Approach in Looking for a Job in 2021
- 12 Benefits of Online Writing
- List of Careers in Demand in Kenya
- List of Top Careers in Demand in South Africa
- Top 15 Careers in Demand Worldwide
- Online Jobs That Pay Through Mpesa
- List of Top Careers in Life Science and Geography
- Top 18 Careers in Humanities
- List of 13 Highest Paying Jobs in Nigeria
- How to Answer “Why Should We Hire You?
- 8 Common Job Interview Questions and Answers
- Career Tips for School Leavers
- Steps on Preparing for Life After School
- Things You Must Do To Get Ready To Work at the Office Again
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in the World
- How to Write an Essay for College Admission
- How to Write an Eye-catching Cover Letter for that Dream Job
- How to Write an Application Letter for a Job
- Easy Steps on How to Write A Descriptive Essay
- Ways to Write a Good University Admission Essay
- Common Mistakes When Writing an Article
- How to Write a Personal Statement for Internship
- How to Write a Personal Statement for a Job
- How to Enjoy That Unfulfilling Job
- Factors to Consider When Writing Your CV
- Top 10 Highest Paying Banks in the USA
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in the United States
- Why Your Resume Hasn’t Landed You an Interview
- Top 14 Work from Home Paying Jobs
- How to Write your Personal Statement for Grad School
- How to Write Personal Statement for Medical School
- How to Write a Successful Scholarship Application
- How to Follow an Academic Writing Style
- How to Write a Cover Letter for Scholarship
- How to Write a Successful Business Plan
- 4 Steps on How to Write A Personal Statement
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly & follow us on Follow @coursediscovery OR
Leonel has been Teacher at Alliant International University since 2013. He began to write about admission details at Course Discovery.