Senior Officer, Global Green Response and Environmental Sustainability at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
- Mainstream Environmental Sustainability into the IFRC response system
- Provide thought leadership, innovation and strategic direction as the global lead for IFRC in the emerging area of the environmental sustainability of humanitarian action (‘Green Response’).
- Lead planning and implementation of the global component for the cross-cutting area of Environmental Sustainability within the global ECHO PPP.
- Support ECHO PPP regional and country-level activities on Green Response and environmental sustainability. This includes all IFRC Regions, but with specific focus on the Africa region, where more than half of the PPP countries are located.
- Promote uptake of Green Response within PPP country plans for future years of the PPP implementation period.
- Lead and coordinate the development of operational procedures, tools and standards to mainstream Green Response.
- Lead and coordinate the development of information and communication materials to help disseminate Green Response concepts and practices to National Societies; and for National Societies to promote positive environmental behaviour with communities.
- Develop an appropriate assessment or screening process for environmental risks in humanitarian contexts, and build capacity across NS and the IFRC network to implement it in operations.
- Ensure timely and high-quality Green Response-related technical advice for Emergency Appeals and to emergency operations teams.
- Coordinate with and support the IFRC Policy Unit on the promotion of Environmental Policies for National Societies
- Conduct briefings and training activities to ensure mainstreaming of environmental sustainability in IFRCs disaster responses and to build surge and disaster management capacity of National Societies and IFRC Secretariat colleagues for this theme.
- Work with the global NS Preparedness team to integrate environmental considerations into NS Preparedness work and the Preparedness for Effective Response (PER) approach.
- Work with the global surge team to ensure integration of environmental expertise in global tools/surge support to National Societies; contribute to the development of the curriculum for disaster management courses, surge capacity trainings, Operations Manager training and the DHEOPS programme.
- Work closely with relevant global departments/teams to ensure that IFRC Secretariat guidance on other sectors and thematic areas includes environmental sustainability.
- Coordinate operational reviews and case studies with a particular focus on identifying good Green Response practices for the development of guidance materials and the dissemination of knowledge.
- Propose innovative pilots and feasibility studies that can ‘green’ humanitarian assistance and / or access new funding streams.
Representation and enhancement of global network on Green Response
- Effectively lead and grow the IFRC Green Response Working Group, the main RCRC network to advance the theme of environmental sustainability in our humanitarian work, including implementing and reporting on its work plan.
- Network and coordinate with RC/RC Movement partners, Reference Centres, NGOs, UN and other international organizations, to ensure the IFRC is kept informed and up to date on best practices and emerging trends related to Green Response.
- Representing the IFRC Secretariat and Membership on environmental sustainability in external fora, and establish effective working relationships with donor Governments, and key international humanitarian organizations, including the Environment and Humanitarian Action Network (as official IFRC focal point) and the Joint Environment Unit of OCHA/UNEP.
- Network and build relationships with key actors based in Nairobi, such as UNEP, DG ECHOs global environmental technical advisor(s), ICRCs Sustainable Delegation team etc.
- Contribute to briefing notes, speaking points etc. as required for key external advocacy efforts of IFRC; often working closely with the headquarters Climate & Resilience team.
- Facilitate increased capacity in Green Response across IFRC regions by developing a network of Regional focal points.
Support to the wider environmental sustainability agenda of the IFRC Secretariat and the IFRC Network
Contribute to Secretariat-wide initiatives to improve the environmental sustainability of the organization, contribute to the implementation of our Environmental Policy, support efforts to measure and reduce our carbon emissions, and establish an Environmental Management Plan.
Contribute to efforts to support National Societies in adopting and implementing the Climate & Environment Charter.
Act as focal point for the environmental sustainability outcome within the IFRC Plan and Budget (SP1.2), responsible for annual planning and regular reporting.
- University degree in relevant area; or equivalent experience required. (Required)
- Technical training in disaster preparedness, response, and recovery. (Require)
- Technical training in environment, climate change, sustainability or related topic. (Preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in humanitarian response & recovery and/or community resilience programming. (Required)
- Direct experience promoting the theme of environmental sustainability in the humanitarian sector (Required)
- Experience working within the RC/RC Movement (Required)
- Experience of the IFRC humanitarian operations system, surge, assessment process, funding tools etc (Preferred)
- Experience in strategy development, developing tools and guidance, providing technical assistance (Required)
- Experience in external coordination, in establishing and maintaining networks, and in leading and administering a coordination forum (Required)
Closing Date : 31st August 2022.
Leonel has been Teacher at Alliant International University since 2013. He began to write about admission details at Course Discovery.