Application for the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) Dept. of Mathematics PhD Scholarships – 2021/2022 Entry is now open at the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) in Tanzania.
The University of Dar es Salaam, through the support of NORHED II Mathematics for Sustainable development project of the Department of Mathematics, wishes to announce six PhD scholarships for the period 2021/2022-2024/2025 academic years. This is a call for applications from eligible candidates for consideration of award of four PhD scholarships in Applied Mathematics and two PhD scholarships in Mathematics Education. Successful candidates will undergo PhD studies at the University of Dar es Salaam, with some short supervision visits to the University of Bergen or Makerere University depending on the supervision needs for a particular PhD student.
The PhD training will commence in October 2021 and will be supported for a period of four years on a full-time basis. The PhD in Mathematics (Applied Mathematics stream) candidates will be trained on the existing PhD in Mathematics by Coursework and Dissertation programme while those in Mathematics Education will follow an existing PhD programme from the School of Education at the University of Dar es Salaam.
UDSM DEPT. OF MATHEMATICS PhD SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY
Eligibility for the FOUR students for award of PhD scholarship in Mathematics (Applied Mathematics Stream). The applicant must
- be a Tanzanian citizen.
- be a holder of a Master’s degree in Mathematics.
- demonstrate the ability to think creatively and work independently and also be able to work in a team of researchers from Tanzania, Norway and/or Uganda.
- undertake a PhD research project in Applied Mathematics areas.
Eligibility for the TWO students for award PhD scholarship in Mathematics Education. The applicant must:
- be Tanzanian citizen.
- be a holder of a Bachelor degree with Education majoring in Mathematics.
- hold Masters’ degree in Education or with Education.
- demonstrate the ability to think critically and work independently and also be able to work with a team of researchers from Tanzania, Norway and/or Uganda.
- undertake a PhD research project in Mathematics Education.
UDSM DEPT. OF MATHEMATICS PhD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Procedure for application
- All applicants must fulfill on-line postgraduate admission requirements.
- All applicants must first be admitted to the programme of study.
- In addition to admission letter, candidates who wish to apply for sponsorship should also submit electronically via email, the following documents:
- An application letter for PhD studentship;
- A current CV (maximum 3 pages), which includes a detailed description of masters’ degree research, in line with the stated project focus areas;
- A soft copy of the applicant’s Master’s thesis;
- A research concept note (maximum 5 pages. See concept note format below);
- Certified copies of the Bachelor and Masters’ degrees transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation – to be sent directly by the referees;
- A recent digital photo.
The Concept Note must include:
- A description of the applicant’s research interests in Applied Mathematics or Mathematics Education;
- A description of the applicant’s background in the area(s) of interest;
- A discussion on the applicant’s motivation for joining PhD studies;
- A discussion on what outputs the applicant expects to realise through the PhD studies.
The application documents, including scanned copies should be submitted via the email addresses below not later than 30th August, 2021:
- Prof. Eunice Mureithi, Head, Mathematics Department
University of Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
- Dr. Sylvester Rugeihyamu,
Email: [email protected]
Kindly leave a comment below. Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly & follow us on Follow @Eafinder OR
Leonel has been Teacher at Alliant International University since 2013. He began to write about admission details at Course Discovery.